Sunday, February 3, 2013

What was I thinking?


Hi, I'm Autumn, and like Elise, I have never written a blog before, so this is going to take some work and is definitely a learning experience.
Tomorrow begins the 12 week training regimen that we have decided to base our training on (as previously posted by Jackie and Elise) and I am really wondering what I was thinking signing up for this! I grew up as a gymnast, which is not truly an aerobic sport, the longest routine was 90 seconds and this half marathon is entirely the opposite! I have never been much of a runner so I am going to need all sorts of help, advice and encouragement to make it through this, hence the rationale for this blog.
I have never been a fan of running on a treadmill or doing the same workouts over and over. I think I was spoiled by gymnastics - 4 hours of practice flew by and it was always something different. I have tried all sorts of workouts over the years and never found anything that truly holds my attention, so I am always trying new and different things to try to find something that works for me. A lot of people recommend classes at the gym but I have never found one that I like enough to stick with. If anyone has suggestions of new workouts let me know! 
I have always preferred running outside to running on a treadmill. I don't mind running in the cold, however with my work schedule, it is dark when I leave for work and getting dark when I get off so that eliminates running outside during the week for the time being. Treadmill running is going to have to suffice for now which means I am going to need new, upbeat music to keep me from getting overly bored! 
Elise and I are going to try to do weekly Thursday blogs about Preventative Physical Therapy so if there are any topics of interest let us know. I work as an acute care PT, so my orthopedics may be a little rusty but this will be a good reason to review and use all that knowledge we learned in school! 
Good luck with the first true week of training girls!

1 comment: