Sunday, February 3, 2013

Avocado Smoothies!

So the other day I was browsing some other running blogs and I came across a post about avocado smoothies on Organic Runner Mom's blog. For those of you who don't know me, I am obsessed with avocados. I guess growing up in California will do that to a girl =)

I had never thought about making an avocado smoothie, so I thought "why not give it a go"? Plus, avocados are 2 for $1 right now, and I may have gone a little overboard and bought a few too many avocados (wait, is there such a thing as too many avocados?!)...

I used Organic Runner Mom's recipe as a starting point, but I made a few changes to prevent my having to run to the grocery store for additional supplies. Here is my recipe:



(makes two servings)

1 avocado
1 banana
8 strawberries, cut off the tops and cut in half
2 scoops vanilla protein powder (can sub vanilla Greek yogurt if you aren't a fan of protein powder)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 cups skim milk (can sub rice, soy, or almond milk if you prefer)

1) put everything but the protein powder into your blender and blend it up until it's nice and smooth
2) add the protein powder and mix it in
3) pour into two cups and enjoy it with a friend!

This smoothie is delicious and kind of tastes like a chocolate milkshake. It's got lots of protein and healthy fats and carbs to help you recover post run!

What's your go-to post workout snack? Would you ever try an avocado smoothie?


5 comments:

  1. That sounds AMAZING!!! Totally trying this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacks, it is SO good. You will LOVE it! And it's super easy to make, too! The perfect med school breakfast, in my opinion!

      Delete
  2. Omg I have missed all these posts!!!!
    PS can you taste the avocado?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can taste the creamy flavor of the avocado, but I'm not sure about tasting the actual avocado, since the cocoa powder and vanilla sort of mask it (plus the sweetness of the berries and banana)...

      Delete
    2. Maybe when we come down I'll taste one if you make it. Maybe it'll break me into it....?

      Delete