Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Out With the Old, In With the New??

Since I am training for this Half Marathon, I decided it was really time to purchase a new pair of running shoes. I have been an Asics fan since I was fitted for my first GOOD pair of running shoes about four years ago. Prior to a fitting and attending PT school, I hadn't thought much about my running shoes. I was picking whatever shoe I thought looked cute, had a fun color, and was comfortable at the store. Well I apparently had A LOT to learn....

Heather has been raving about her Brooks running shoes since she purchased them back in the summer. She says it feels like she is running on a cloud. To me that sounded amazing and I was all for it, but I needed to make sure the shoes were right for me. I went to Fleet Feet, which was awesome. The sales associate was really helpful, sized my feet, watched me walk and run without shoes, listened to my concerns, diagnosed me, and  came up with some great shoes. She stated that I was a "midfoot runner" and that I over-pronate (my arch collapses) when I run. She hit it all! She picked a few shoes from lightweight to more support in various bands to see what I liked. We tried about six pairs on and it came down to the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13.



They seemed to fit fine in the store. I did notice the arch seemed a little pokey, but thought it was fine. I was a little uneasy, because they didn't have any Asics in my size to try on, but I felt good and thought it was time for a change! I was so excited and couldn't wait to go for a run! Within the next day or so, I hit the treadmill for my first run...   My shins were killing me, my feet hurt, and the arch support was jabbing me!! I could barely do 15 mins! These were not the "Perfect Ride for My Stride!"I was so upset!

I don't want to knock Brooks or Fleet Feet at all. I'm sure they are great/amazing shoes for some runners, but not for this one.

This brings me to my point; PLEASE try on shoes, go for a run, really make sure they are the shoes for you

You don't want to be logging tons of miles, regardless if you're training for a race or not, in the wrong shoes. As a Physical Therapist, we see tons of runners who have developed foot, shin, knee, hip, and back problems from the wrong shoes and even from switching brands. We see a lot of new runners who just pick a shoe off the rack and hit the streets and next thing you know they have knee, hip, and back problems that they had never felt before! I encourage all new and old runners to make sure you are running in the proper shoe.  Also, pay attention to the shoe and your feet and if something doesn't feel quite right, then don't buy them. I should have listened to the pokey feeling in my arch, but you live and learn right!!?!?

So I went back to the drawing board and purchased two pairs of Asics. I went to Dick's Sporting Goods after researching all the shoes that would be best for me. Dick's has a great selection of Asics. Now, I didn't buy from Dick's because I am a bargain shopper and I found them cheaper on Amazon.com. I ended up getting a 20% off coupon and getting two pairs of Asics for $150!!! Now that's a steal!! I ended up purchasing the Women's GT 2170 running shoe in Storm/Electric Violet and the Women's GT 1000 running shoe in Electric Punch/White/Highlighter Yellow.  One thing you may learn about me over time, I'm EXTREMELY indecisive! I could not make a decision between the two! They both felt amazing!



The Women's GT 2170  shoes feel amazing! They have the Impact Guidance System (IGS) that allows for a more natural gait when running, as well as a great arch support and shock absorption. It is a heavy shoe and a lot more shoe, but all my older Asics have been in this category.



The Women's GT 1000 is a lighter shoe. It does not have the IGS, but still has the Gel cushion and midfoot/arch support. These really hugged my feet and felt great! I love these shoes! Plus the color was an added bonus!! Remember, it's not about the color, it's about the fit! I know this is a difficult concept I had to learn to over come. My first pair of Asics were not the cutest...



I really love both of these shoes! I'm excited to alternate between them during the next few months of training! To sum everything up, it's great to try out new things, but if you know something works then why change it? I'm glad I gave Brooks a try, but I guess I'm just an Asics girl and I'm ok with that! :)





PS. In my free time, I am learning to become a better photographer with my new DSLR that my amazing husband surprised me with this Christmas!! My husband is a pretty amazing photographer and if anyone lives in the MD/VA area, you should check out his website: www.zegolfphotography.com He does just about anything! His new challenge for 2013 is breaking into the wedding business so give him a follow if you are interested or want to see how the wedding business goes for him this year at www.zegolfphotography.com/blog!!!!

As you follow our blog, you may get to watch us become amazing runners and hopefully I'll blossom into a semi-decent photographer.  Well....I hope!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to blogging! I'm a Mizuno girl and I am in need of new running shoes before I start training for the Pittsburgh Half in May. Good luck with your training! I posted some training tips and pre/post run tips a while back that ya'll might find useful. Have fun! Oh and let me know if you wanna do the Pittsburgh Half? And have fun in Destin, I'm bummed we can't come!

    (http://southernsweetandsimple.blogspot.com/2012/01/tips-for-marathonhalf-marathon-runner.html)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I need all I can get!

    ReplyDelete